Ruth Levy’s Apple Chrimslech
Ruth’s Chrimslech (for Passover)
Watch the video.
1 grated apple
a few tbsp. of chopped almonds (can be bought whole and chopped in food processor)
sugar (to taste)
Matzah Meal (if needed)
Olive or vegetable oil or butter
Food Processor (if using whole almonds)
2 Large Bowls
Egg Beaters (optional)
- The night before – soak the 2 pieces of Matzah in water. Let sit overnight. In the morning, squeeze out all the water.
- Separate egg yolks and whites. Reserve whites. Place yolks in a bowl and beat.
- Place egg whites in a second bowl. Beat until stiff. Place in refrigerator.
- Add soaked, drained Matzah, apple, almonds, a few tsp. of sugar, a pinch of cinnamon and a dash of salt. Mix well.
- Fold in egg whites. If the mixture is very liquid, add some matzah meal
- Heat up oil or butter
- Cover the bottom of a pan with oil or butter, when it is hot spoon the batter into circles as you would a pancake. Flip over when brown.
- Place cooked Chrimslech onto paper towel-line to drain oil
When ready to serve, heap onto a plate and sprinkle with powdered sugar.